Director, Software Engineering – Markham, Ontario
Redline Communications Group Inc. (TSX: RDL) is a Canadian company incorporated in 1999. The Company develops wireless communications products and solutions for markets that require privately dedicated communications such as Oil & Gas, Mining, Telecom Service Providers, Military Organizations and Governments. Customers in these markets have very demanding requirements and rely heavily on their wireless network to deliver high performance and highly secure communications over extended periods of time.
Redline’s platforms and products create the communication backbone necessary to support enhanced applications and services for its customers. Redline solutions enable reliable and mission-critical voice, data, video, M2M and IoT applications in very remote or hard to reach regions of the world.
For nearly two decades, Redline has demonstrated that its products are among the most powerful, versatile, reliable and secure in the industry. These products are the result of Redline’s engineering strength coupled with its deep understanding of the markets in which it operates and an intimate knowledge of its customers’ needs and challenges.
As part of designing and delivering mission-critical networks, Redline adds to its advanced technology support for its customers and partners by providing Advanced Services in all phases of the life of the network. The Company has invested in its Advanced Services capabilities to ensure that the Redline solution delivers the value that customers and partners have come to expect. The Company’s Advanced Services organization possesses the tools, knowledge, and certifications necessary to work side-by-side with the customers and partners, thereby ensuring exceptional professional value.
Redline is a great place to be. We’re a dynamic, growing company offering:
- A unique work experience in a company that’s passionate about developing and delivering truly leading edge broadband wireless solutions
- A supportive environment that promotes diversity in the workplace
- Opportunities to expand your skills and abilities in a fast-growing environment
The Director of Software Engineering will be part of the Engineering Team reporting to the Vice President of Engineering and will work closely with the Product Line Management Team, Hardware Engineering Team, Quality Assurance Teams and the broader organization. The successful applicant’s chief responsibility will be to lead the Software Engineering team in developing the software elements and protocol stacks of our proprietary, 4G and 5G industrial wireless solutions. These duties will include but not limited to leading the design, architecting and engineering of various product stacks for the Redline solutions, and participating as a part of the management team in the growth of the Company. The successful applicant will be measured on revenue from enhancements you deliver, user engagement and satisfaction, your ability to drive projects from concept through completion, and your skills working with customers and colleagues.
- You have experience of providing overall strategic and tactical leadership and facilitation to software development teams (development, quality, deployment)
- You have a passion for continuous improvement, have kept up with the state of the art in software development and are an example and mentor to your team
- You are responsible for delivering products that delight customers while managing the health of the code base through continuous refactoring and management
- You are an expert at agile product development methodologies familiar with the CI/CD approach and will champion the culture, processes, and tools required to maintain a frictionless high-quality development environment
- You have subject matter expert level knowledge and abilities in Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) management
- You dive deep into technology and are on the forefront of the latest tools, standards, technologies, and strategies and help evaluate, prototype, and introduce them to our team
- You have experience to provide coaching in software best practices, automated test strategies, and working toward flattening the cost of change curve for the software development of products
- You have demonstrated track record of building high performing, secure applications and building security into the DNA of products.
- You communicate proactively and effectively to different audiences, including executives, customers and non-technical stakeholders.
- Other duties as assigned
Education and/or Certifications/Licensures:
- Minimum: Engineering degree with an emphasis on in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or similar field or comparable experience (Preferably a Master Degree)
- PMP certification and work experience with Agile methodologies will be strong assets for this position
Relevant Work Experience:
- Minimum Five years’ experience in a similar role (Preferably 7-10 years)
Skills (Technical or General):
- Excellent people management skills with the ability to lead collaboration across functions and organizations, and to deal with external and internal stakeholders
- Proven project management skills, scheduling, time and risk managements
- Ability to be proactive and comfortable iteratively transforming minimal verbal/written specifications from users, other technical teams, and Product Line Management (PLM) to well-defined requirements, followed by excellent technical designs, reliable implementation codes and committed goals
- Previous experience in embedded software development is a strong asset
- Outstanding knowledge of the High-Level Design and development paradigms (Procedural or Object Oriented) and their interactions with the Low Level Design and Development environments
- Excellent knowledge of wireless communications technologies, particularly 3GPP 4G and 5G core and RAN , both architecturally and at the system and node levels
- Sound knowledge of and expertise in the 3GPP specifications and end-to-end call flows
- Experience in managing engineering operations, including budget planning
- Knowledge of professional software engineering best practices including designing, coding standards, code reviews, build processes, testing, and operations
- Being a self-starter, able to work well alone or in a team with light supervision
- Being a quick learner, able to pick up new concepts and technologies quickly
- Having a strong and effective organizational, management, verbal, and written communication skills
Our Ideal Candidate:
- Is located in or around the Greater Toronto Area
- Will be a self-starter, loves to collaborate to solve problems and works well in team environments
- Should be a quick learner, able to pick up new concepts and technologies quickly coupled with the strong ability to communicate these to other people clearly and concisely
- Should have a strong attention to detail, with a preference for doing things right
Redline is looking for talented, versatile and committed people who are interested in a career in broadband wireless. Candidates should share our passion for transforming challenging situations into opportunities, thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment, and enjoy meeting and working with new people. Redline is seeking team players with a commitment to excellent client service coupled with proven communication skills.
Please e-mail your cover letter & resume to [email protected] with “Director, Software Engineering” in the subject line. While we thank you for your interest, only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Redline is committed to a diverse workforce.